Many of us remember the anticipation and the joy that accompany a school Sports Day. From watching a parent nervously as they compete in the parents' race to hoping desperately that the rain holds off just a bit longer, sports days are a key part of our time at school.
For Brightwell cum Sotwell CofE Primary School in Oxfordshire, like many others, lockdown has not only disrupted traditional teaching but also the usual rhythm and fun of key school events. In order to keep children's spirits high and permit these important milestones for their pupils, the school decided to switch up their usual Sports Day for a new and virtual format.
Instead of taking place on one afternoon, the school issued a variety of sports-related challenges each day over one week and pupils submitted their efforts via photos and videos to earn all-important house points that would total to reveal the winning House.
Sporting tasks included:
- The Sock Throw – throwing 10 items (or socks) into a basket
- The Towel Run –run or jump with a rolled up towel between your legs (to replicate the sack race)
- As many star jumps as you can do in 30 seconds
- The Potato and Spoon race (a revision of a well-loved classic!)
- The Speed Bounce – jump over a rolled up towel on the ground as many times as possible in 30 seconds
- The Dribble Run – dribble a ball through a variety of items
- Keepy Uppies – how many can you do?
All activities were designed so that everyone could take part, without requiring any specialist equipment. Despite the phenomenally hot weather over the course of the week held, the response from staff, parents and pupils was terrific!
On the Friday afternoon originally scheduled for Sports Day, the school held a live Zoom assembly, where 75% of families tuned in to see the video compilations of pupils taking part and the results. In the end, Blue House was victorious, a particularly good effort as they had been somewhat languishing behind the other houses prior to Sports Day. Congratulations to the staff, parents and the pupils who took part in this hugely successful day.